Disaster Mitigation Meet of SAARC countrie's begins in capital, New Delhi
- Disaster Mitigation conference of member counties of South
Asian Association on Regional Cooperation (SAARC) has begun in New Delhi on 3
- The two day conference seeks to chalk out and undertake
various joint efforts on various issues related to disaster mapping and
mitigation in the member nations.
- The conference is being held by keeping in mind the
prevalent geo-climatic conditions as well as increased frequency of natural
disaster and calamities in the SAARC region.
- It is also being held in the wake of the recent Nepal
earthquake (April 2015).
- It calls for enhanced levels of preparedness and risk
resilience amongst member countries.
- It also seeks collaborative action amongst member countries
to deal jointly and individually in disaster situations and ensure minimal loss
of lives and property.
- South Asian Annual Disaster Management Exercise (SAADMEx)
India has taken the lead to begin SAADMEx, a simulation exercises on disaster
management in the region.
- In this regard, India has requested all SAARC countries to
participate in this exercise.
- SAADMEx aims at augmenting current levels of individual and
joint preparedness of member countries in the rescue, relief and response
operations during disaster situations.
- The exercise will be conducted in two phases.
- First phase is the current coordination conference which
will discuss the requirements and modalities of the main exercise.
- Second phase will cover the main exercise which will be held
from November 23-26, 2015 in New Delhi.
- Three components of second phase of SAADMEx are Table Top
Exercise (TTx) Field Training Exercise (FTx) and After Action Review (AAR).