Garba Dance Nominates to UNESCO Heritage List
- After Durga Puja was included in UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage last year, India has now named Garba for the year 2022.
- If approved, it will become the first intangible cultural heritage of Gujarat to be listed by UNESCO.
- Garba is a form of dance, as well as a religious and social event.
- It originated in the villages of Gujarat, where it was performed in communal gathering places in the center of the village which was attended by the entire community.
- In Gujarat, it is celebrated with nine nights of dance as a form of worship and worship.
- Garba is also performed during social events like weddings and parties.
- UNESCO’s prestigious list is made up of intangible heritage elements that help to showcase the diversity of cultural heritage and raise awareness of its importance.
- It was established in 2008 after the Convention for the Protection of Intangible Cultural Heritage, 2003 came into force.
- It compiles two lists viz. Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity and the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Protection.