Yonex-Sunrise India Open won byLakshya Sen
- India’s Lakshya Sen secured his maiden Super 500 title by
winning “Yonex-Sunrise India Open”, on January 16, 2022.
- Badminton World Federation (BWF):
- He secured the title with a stunning straight-game victory
over reigning world champion from Singapore, Loh Kean Yew in the men’s singles
- 20-year-old Lakshya had earlier claimed his maiden world
championships medal with a bronze in Spain in December 2021.
- He produced a fine performance of 24-22 21-17 in the summit
- In the doubles’ final, top doubles pair of Satwiksairaj
Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty won against three-time world champions Mohammad
Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan from Indonesia.
- The pair become India’s first men’s
team to win the Yonex-Sunrise India Open.
- The world no 10 Indian pair had won
its first Super 500 tournament in 2019 in Thailand.
- India Open is an annual badminton event, held in
India since 2008.
- It is a BWF World Tour Super 500 Grade international
- The event was inaugurated in 2007 in Hyderabad, however
the it was cancelled amid Hyderabad bombings.
- The first three editions of the
India Open were designated as Grand Prix Gold events.
- It was upgraded to BWF
superseries tournament in 2011.
- In between 2011-2019, the event was held annually
at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi.
- India open is categorised as one
among seven BWF World Tour Super 500 events by BWF since 2018.