IIT Madras introduced a method to recycle urine
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) introduced the
Project Water Chakra to recycle urine. The project was done by an IIT-M student
with 3 project staff.
- The Project Water Chandra won the Indian Innovation Growth
Programme 2.0 award in July 2019. The project has developed a prototype for the
Carbon Zero Challenge.
- Initially, they retrofitted urinals on the campus to collect
- The concentrated urine was stored for 3 days until the urea
was converted into ammonia.
- The ammonia is segregated by a process called Steam
- This commercial grade liquid can be used to make cleaning
products, such as detergents or in rubber manufacturing.