Ashok Chakra, the highest peacetime gallantry award-2018
- Lance Naik Nazir Ahmed Wani was posthumously awarded the Ashok Chakra, the highest
peacetime gallantry award, on 26 January 2019.
- Lance Naik Nazir Ahmed Wani lost his life while killing six terrorists in an operation in Kashmir.
- He is Kashmir’s first Ashok Chakra awardee and was also awarded Sena Medal for gallantry twice in 2007 and 2018 for his acts of valour.
- The award will be presented by President Ram Nath Kovind to his wife Mrs. Mahajabeen at the Republic Day parade on Saturday.
- On November 25, 2018 Lance Naik Wani was taking part in a counter terrorist operation against six terrorists in Hirapur village near Batgund, Kashmir.
- Under intense hail of bullets from the terrorists he eliminated the district commander of the LeT and one foreign terrorist in an act of raw courage.
- A resident of Cheki Ashmuji of Kulgam district Jammu and Kashmir, he joined the Army’s 162 Infantry Battalion (Territorial Army) in Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry in 2004.
- His courage got his recognition very quickly with the Sena Medal for Gallantry in 2007.
- The 2018 Sena Medal was given for eliminating one terrorist from a very close distance, the Army stated.
- Lance Naik Wani comes from a humble background and had worked for the benefit of the underprivileged section in his village and surrounding area.
- Apart from his wife, he is survived by two sons Athar (20) and Shaid (18).