124th Constitutional Amendment Bill passed
- Parliament on 9 January 2019 cleared the Constitutional
Amendment Bill guaranteeing 10% quota in education and employment to
economically weaker sections in the general category.
- This followed the
approval of the bill by the Rajya Sabha.
- The Lok Sabha had passed the bill a
day earlier on 8 January 2019. Later on 12 January 2019 President Ram Nath
Kovind signed the Bill to give it constitutional authority.
- The pertaining constitutional amendment bill is the 124
Amendment Bill that was introduced by Minister of Social Justice and
Empowerment Thawar Chand Gehlot in the Parliament on 7 January 2019.
- The reservation would be applicable to jobs in both Central
and State governments.
- However, the legislation gives powers to States to
determine the economic criteria for identification of beneficiaries.