Mughalsarai Junction railway station to be named Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction
- Uttar Pradesh’s iconic Mughalsarai Junction was on 5 August
2018 formally renamed after RSS ideologue Deen Dayal Uphadyay as Pt. Deen Dayal
- The BJP president Amit Shah, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal
and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath took part in a grand renaming
event at the station.
- Upadhyay was found dead in mysterious circumstances near the
Mughalsarai station in February 1968. Mughalsarai is also the birthplace of
former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- Mughalsarai Junction is a century-old railway station on the
busy Delhi-Howrah route and is famous for having the largest railway marshaling
yard in Asia.
- It is also the fourth busiest railway junction in India.
- On paper, Mughalsarai station got a new name after Uttar
Pradesh Governor Ram Naik gave his assent to the proposal in June 2018.
- From 5
August 2018 the new name made its entry into the railway system and on IRCTC
site the name was found after entering the initials DDU.