Shankaracharya of the Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam passed away
- Jayendra Saraswathi, the Shankaracharya of the Sri Kanchi
Kamakoti Peetam – passed away.
- Vijayendra Saraswathi succeeded him as the 70th
Shankaracharya of the Kanchi Peetam.
- Jayendra Saraswathi – the 69th Shankaracharya of the Sri
Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, passed away following a cardiac arrest at Kanchipuram.
- He was the senior pontiff of the mutt founded by Adi
Shankaracharya, receiving the mantle from his predecessor, the late
Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Swamigal.
- Jayendra Saraswathi was at the forefront of innumerable
community service initiatives such as the chain of ‘Sankara Eye Hospital’.
- The junior pontiff Vijayendra Saraswathi succeeded Jayendra