India becomes third largest producer of crude steel
- According to recent report published by World Steel
Association (WSA), India has overtaken US to become the world’s third largest
steel producer in 2017.
- India’s crude steel production has grown by 6.2% to 101.4
million tonnes (MT) in 2017 compared to 95.5 MT in the previous year.
- China has remained world leader by producing 831.7 MT in
2017, up 5.7% from 786.9 MT in the year-ago period.
- Japan is second largest global steel producer and had
witnessed negative growth in steel output declined by 0.1% to 104.7 MT in 2017
from 104.8 MT in 2016.
- The Global steel production had reached 1,691.2 MT in 2017,
up by 5.3% compared to 2016 when output was 1,606.3 MT.
- Crude steel production increased in all regions in 2017
except in CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States), which has remained stable.
- WSA is a non-profit organisation and is one of the largest
industry associations in world.