Brigadier (retd.) Kapil Mohan known as ‘Old Monk’ passed away at the age of 88
- Brigadier (retd.)
Kapil Mohan passed away at the age of 88 years on 6 January 2018, was the
man behind which famous Indian liquor brand.
- Brigadier (retd.) Kapil Mohan was former Chairman
and MD of Mohan Meakin Ltd. and the man behind the rum Old Monk.
- He had launched the ‘Old Monk’ rum in 1954 was for a long
time the largest selling dark rum in the world.
- It was, for many years, the
biggest Indian Made Foreign Liquor brand as well.
- Other famous brands started
by him include Solan No. 1 whiskey and Golden Eagle beer.
- Recipient of Padma Shri in 2010, Kapil Mohan led the
much-needed diversification of the company after he took over the reins of the
erstwhile Dyer Meakin Breweries.