Veteran Congress Leader Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi Dies At 72
- Senior Congress leader and former union minister Priya
Ranjan Dasmunsi died at a hospital in Delhi at the age of 72.
- He has been in coma since 2008 and critically ill over the past
- Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi was a popular leader with rich
political and administrative experience.
- He did notable work to popularise football in India.
- The former union minister fell into a coma after suffering a
massive stroke that left him paralysed and unable to speak.
- H e was ane of the Congress's most popular leaders in West
Bengal and enjoyed a good rapport with leaders across the political spectrum.
- He was union Parliamentary Affairs Minister when he went
- Over the years, his wife became active in Congress politics.
- Deepa Dasmunsi was also a union minister in the Congress-led UPA government.
- In 2006, Mr Dasmunsi was the first Indian to be a match
commissioner in a FIFA World Cup game between Australia and Croatia.
- He was heading the Indian football governing body at the
time of his stroke in 2008, which led to Praful Patel taking over as president.