Ministry of Railways launches Mission Retro-Fitment
- Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhu has launched Mission
Retro-Fitment to enhance the passenger experience by upgrading the existing
fleet of coaches.
- Mission Retro-Fitment is an ambitious program to upgrade the
level of furnishing & amenities in the coaches of Indian Railways.
- The refurbished coaches will have better furnishing,
aesthetics & amenities and better safety features.
- It has aimed at
providing a safe and comfortable travel to the railway passengers.
- Under Mission Retro-Fitment, 40,000 coaches will be
refurbished and retrofitted in the next five years.
- The mission aims to induct about 40,000 coaches with
upgraded interiors by 2022-23.
- The mission will be one of the largest retro fitment
projects in the world.
- The mission will be carried out without affecting the
- It is estimated that cost of refurbishing per coach to be
approximately Rs 30 lakhs.
- The refurbished coaches will haveWorld Class Ambience.
- The refurbished coaches will have panels with LED lights,
modular toilets with plumbing, Branded fittings, powered Venetian blinds,
anti-Graffiti coating etc.
- Enhanced Passenger Safety: Fire and smoke detection system,
rounded edges for preventing injury, double acting compartment door in AC
- Environment-Friendly features such as Bio-toilets.
- Usage of better materials such as polycarbonate ABS,
advanced composites, Glass Fibre Reinforced Plastic, stainless steel, etc.