Internet users in India to reach 503 million by 2017
- According to IAMAI and KPMG, the overall internet user base
(wireline and wireless) in the country stood at approximately 350 million as on
- It is estimated to touch 503 million by 2017.
- These are reported as
titled 'India on the go "mobile Internet Vision".
- The mobile internet users are likely to reach 314 million in
the same period.
- The number of mobile internet users in India was
approximately 159 million in 2014.
- This number is expected to continue to grow
rapidly and reach 314 million by end of year 2017 registering a CAGR of 27.8 % for the period 2013-2017.
- In India more than 50 % of internet users are
mobile-only internet users.
- 2G user base in the country is projected to
decline in the coming years as more and more customers are expected to migrate
- 3G user base in India is rapidly
gaining market and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 61.3% between
- There were approximately 82 million 3G subscribers in India
by the end of year 2014 and the number is projected to reach 284 million by end
of year 2017.
- As per the report, rural India is steadily moving towards a
more internet friendly and exploratory mind-set.
- As of 2014, the active internet user (AIU) base in rural
India was 6.7 % of the overall rural population of 905 million and
accounted for 61 million users.