Yevgeny Primakov,the former PM of Russia passes away
- Former Prime minister Yevgeny Primakov passed away in Moscow
after a prolonged illness at the age of 85.
- He had served as PM for just eight months between
September 1998 and May 1999.
- During his long political career, he also had
served as Foreign Minister (1996 to 1998), Speaker of the Supreme Soviet of the
Soviet Union (in 1989) and chief of the intelligence service.
- Prior to Gulf war, he had played a prominent role in
negotiations with former dictator of Iraq Saddam Hussein.
- Primakov was born in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev in 1929
in erstwhile Soviet Union.
- He had studied Arabic at the Moscow Institute for
Oriental Studies. Prior joining politics, he had worked as a journalist for
Soviet radio and for Pravda newspaper as a Middle Eastern correspondent.