Indian Badminton pair Jwala-Ashwini wins Canada Open
- Indian shuttlers Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa won the
Canada Open women's doubles title after upstaging the top-seeded Dutch pair of
Eefje Muskens and Selena Piek in the summit clash.
- The third-seeded Indian pair triumphed 21-19 21-16 in the
contest which lasted 35 minutes.
- In a closely-contested opening game, Jwala and Ashwini broke
away from the 19-19 and converted the lone game point opportunity to grab the
- The Indians dominated the second game and raced to a 5-0
lead before going from 10-6 to 15-6 up.
- However, Muskens and Piek fought back to win nine points
straight and tie the game at 15-15.
- This was Jwala and Ashwini's first title since their reunion
after the 2012 London Olympics.