UN issues $25 mn fund for Yemen relief efforts
- The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
(OCHA) has announced a release of emergency aid of USD 25 million for relief
efforts in crisis-torn Yemen.
- The aid, issued by the UN Central Emergency Response Fund.
- The aid would go towards provision of fuel, medicines,
emergency supplies, clean water, sanitation services and nutrition programmes
for Yemenis in need.
- According to a survey by the UN Food and Agriculture
Organisation and the World Food Programme, six million people in Yemen are in
need of assistance.
- Yemen has descended into a conflict between forces
supporting former president Ali Abdullah Saleh and Shia Houthi rebels backing
exiled president Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.