J.B Patnaik , Former Odisha Chief Minister and Congress leader passes away
- Former Governor of Assam and three-time Chief Minister of
Odisha Janaki Ballav Patnaik passes away in a private hospital
at Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh.
- Mr. Patnaik, was a veteran Congress leader.
- He was 89 years old and
is survived by his wife Jayanti Patnaik, son Pruthvi Ballav Patnaik and two
daughters -Sudatta Patnaik and Supriya Patnaik.
- Mr. Patnaik
had gone to Tirupati from Bhubaneswar to attend the convocation
ceremony of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha .
- Mr. Patnaik was
Chancellor of the university.
- Earlier, Mr. Patnaik had returned to Odisha in December last after completing
his full term of five years as Governor of Assam.
- He was born in Puri district on January 3, 1927.
- He was
Chief Minister of Odisha from 1980 to 1989 and again from 1995 to 1999.
- He was
also the Leader of Opposition in Odisha Assembly from 2004 to 2009.
- Mr. Patnaik, who started his career as a journalist, was a
Sanskrit scholar and wrote several books.