The worst disasters of the Mediterranean migrant crisis :700 feared dead in Mediterranean shipwreck
- As many as 700 people were feared dead after a fishing boat
packed with migrants capsized off the Libyan coast overnight.
- It is one of the worst disasters of the Mediterranean
- Twenty eight people were rescued and 24 bodies recovered
from the 20 metre-long vessel.
- The boat sank around 70 miles from the Libyan coast, south
of the southern Italian island of Lampedusa.
- This boat was bringing migrants from Libya , North African
country to Italy.
- More than 1,500 as the flow of migrants seeking to flee
poverty, war and insecurity in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East has
- The new deaths fuelled calls for a stronger response from
Europe to the increasingly deadly migrant crisis playing out in the
- The boat is believed to have capsized when the migrants
shifted to one side of the overcrowded vessel as a merchant ship approached.
- Pope Francis, who has spoken out repeatedly on the migrant
crisis, repeated his call for quick and decisive action from the international
- According to the International Organisation for Migration
(IOM) , around 20,000 migrants have reached the Italian coast this year.
- That is fewer than in the first four months of last year,
but the number of deaths has risen almost nine-fold.