Leela Samson resigns as Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification
- Miss.Leela Samson,the Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) has resigned recently.
- She resigned after Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT) cleared the controversial film Messenger of God featuring Dera Saccha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in lead role.
- The Censor Board headed by Ms. Samson had earlier denied the clearance certificate to the film saying that the movie depicts Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh as a God.
What is FCAT ?
- FCAT is a statutory body. It has been constituted under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
- It comes under the aegis of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Its headquarter's is located in New Delhi.
- The Tribunal has a Secretary to look after its day to day affairs.
- It hears the appeals filed as per provisions of Cinematograph Act. Any applicant can file an appeal before the tribunal for a certificate in respect of a film who is aggrieved by an order of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
Brief History of Leela Samson:
- Leela Samson is a Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer, instructor and writer.
- She is recipient of the many awards for her contributions to Bharatanatyam.
- She also awarded Padma Shri (1990), Kalaimamani (2005) given by Government of Tamil Nadu, and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1999-2000).