Nokia to Develop New 5G Radio Solutions
Features of RAN:
- The Finnish telecom equipment maker, Nokia, announced on
March 16 that it has partnered with the Microsoft, Amazon web services and
Google so as to develop a new cloud-based 5G radio solution.
- This solution will
be developed with its radio access network (RNA) technology.
- This partnership was
gone with objective of developing a new business cases, in three separate
- RAN is the part of a mobile telecommunication system.
system implements a radio access technology.
- RAN resides between a device like
computer, mobile phone or any remotely controlled machine.
- It also provides
connection with the core network.
- Based on the standard mobile phones and other
wireless connected devices are called as user equipment, terminal equipment or
mobile station etc.
- The functionality of RAN is typically provided by the
silicon chip which resides in both the core network and the user equipment.
- The single handset or phone can be connected to multiple
radio access networks simultaneously.
- The Handsets which are capable of this feature are called as the
- For example, a handset can commonly support both GSM and
UMTS or “3G” radio access technologies.
- Such devices also transfer the ongoing
call across different radio access networks without any disruption to users.