Indian Origin Kamala Harris nominated as US Vice President candidate
Kamala Harris : A Fact File
- Indian Origin Kamala Harris, nominated as US Vice President candidate by democratic Party.
- The Presidential Candidate Joe Biden has chosen Kamala
Harris to run for Vice President.
- Joe Biden was the Vice President of the US during President Obama’s period.
- As a running mate, she will be the first
black woman and the first person of Indian origin to be nominated for the
national office of a majority party in the US.
Ongoing US Presidential election:
- Kamala was born in Oakland, California.
- She is the district
attorney from San Francisco and former attorney general of California.
- She has
been a supporter of racial justice legislation in the killing of Floyd.
also serves in high profile committees in the Senate such as Judiciary
Committee and Intelligence Committee.
- She won her first election in 2003 and became San Francisco
- She was elected the Attorney General in 2010.
- The US Presidential election is scheduled in November 2020.
- It is the 59th Quadrennial Presidential election.
- According to Article 2 of the US Constitution, for a person
to serve as US president a person has to be a natural born US citizen. Also, he
or she should have attained age of 35 years.
- The person should have resided in
the country for at least 14 years.
- The 22nd amendment of the US constitution states that a
person cannot be elected as a president more than twice.
- This prohibited former
presidents George W Bush, Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama from being elected as
- The Presidential Election is to occur simultaneously with
elections to House of Representatives and Senate.