World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed on 17 June
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed
on 17 June.
- The day is aimed to promote public awareness of international
efforts to combat desertification.
- The theme for 2020 World Day to Combat Desertification and
Drought is "Food. Feed.Fibre. - the links between consumption and
- The theme is focuses to change public attitudes which are the
leading driver of desertification and land degradation.
- During the 1992 Rio Earth Summit, challenges like
desertification, along with climate change and the loss of biodiversity, were
identified to achieve sustainable development.
- In 1994, the United Nations
General Assembly (UNGA) established the United Nations Convention to Combat
- UNGA declared 17 June as World Day to Combat
Desertification and Drought by passing the resolution A/RES/49/115.
- In the year 2007, the UNGA declared 2010-2020 as the UN
Decade for Deserts and the fight against Desertification to mobilize global
action to fight land degradation.