May 28: World Hunger Day
- Every year, May 28 is marked as World Hunger Day.
- The World
Hunger Day is an initiative of the Hunger Project.
- The United Nations aims to increase
- This is to feed 820 million people that are with
inadequate food security.
- The UN predicts that 2 billion are to come under poverty and
face hunger by 2050.
- In order to eliminate hunger, the Sustainable Development
Goal of “Zero Hunger” was included India India in 2019-20 produced 281.95
million tonnes of food grains.
- Still 69% of deaths of children under 5 in India is due to
- The data was provided by the State of World Children Report.
- Also, India ranks at 102nd position in Global Hunger Index.
- Current Scenario of India World Bank says that Human Capital
Index of India is 0.44.
- This means that an Indian child grows only to 44% of her
- Around 55% of Indian Children (of age 6 months to 23 months)
had zero consumption of vegetables.
- This is mainly due to lack of breast
feeding and diet diversity.