International Nurses Day is observed on 12 May
Theme of the year- 2020
- International Nurses Day (IND) is observed around the world
on 12 May of each year.
- The international day marks the contributions that
nurses make to society.
- The day assumes more significance due to the COVID-19
- Over the past several months, nurses and other medical professionals
have put their lives on the line to save lives and defeat this menace.
International Council of Nurses (ICN): A fact file
- The theme for 2020 International Nurses Day is "Nurses:
A Voice to Lead – Nursing the World to Health."
- The theme aims to
demonstrate how nurses are central to addressing a wide range of health
- The theme aims to inspire nurses and make the public aware of their
contribution to healthcare and health management.
- International Nurses Day was initiated by the International
Council of Nurses (ICN) in 1974.
- The day marks the birth anniversary of
Florence Nightingale, who was born in 1820. She is revered as the founder of
- The International Nurses Day 2020 marks her 200th birth
- The day highlights the important role nurses fulfill in health
- It was founded in the year 1899
- Members: 135 nurses associations
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland