Nature Ranking Index- 2020: CSIR tops in the rank
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
topped the Nature Ranking Index 2020.
- The rankings are based on the output of
the total research that was carried out from 1 December 2018 to 30 November
2019 in all the institutions.
total research output indicated: counts which mean total citations in numbers,shares which mean the sharing percentage per article.
top subjects associated with the research work include Chemistry, Physical
Science, Earth and Environmental Sciences, and Life Sciences.
- CSIR, New Delhi scored 142 counts and a share of 87.74%.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, has ranked second.
- It scored 211
counts and a share of 83.61% in share percentage.
Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR-Mumbai) secured the third position with
a research count of 232 and a share percentage of 62.18.
- CSIR was established in September 1942 by GoI.
- CSIR has 3 Innovation Complexes, 38 national laboratories,
39 outreach centres, and 5 units.
- Over 4600 active scientists and about 8000
scientific and technical personnel are involved in CSIR’s R&D.
- It covers
areas including radio and space physics, chemicals, drugs, genomics,
oceanography, nanotechnology, aeronautics, instrumentation, information
technology, among others.