GoI appoints officials to assist Chief of Defence Staff
- Centre appointed 2 joint secretaries, 13 deputy secretaries,
and 25 under secretary-rank officials to the newly-created department of
- The department is to be headed by Chief of Defence Staff
(CDS) General Bipin Rawat.
- The appointments are in line with the government's vision of
ensuring tri-services synergy.
- India's military is currently planning to bring in
convergence among the three services for effectively dealing with future
- As a first move, Gen Rawat took charge as the country's
first CDS on 1 January 2020.
- He is also acting as the Principal Military Advisor to the
defence minister on all tri-services matters besides helming the Department of
Military Affairs (DMA).
- CDS is playing a vital role to ensure optimum utilization of
- It also works to provide more synergy in procurement,
training, and operations of the services through joint planning and