ISRO proposes to set up Human Space Flight Centre in Challakere
HSFC: A fact file
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has proposed a
Rs.2,700 crore master plan to create a top infrastructure that will house its
young Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC).
- The HSFC was formally announced in
- It currently works from a temporary place at the ISRO
headquarters, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- ISRO has announced to set up India's world-class facility
for training astronauts in three years at Challakere in Chitradurga district of
- The announcement was made by K. Sivan, ISRO Chairman and Secretary,
Department of Space.
- After establishing the centre, everything connected with
events and planning of the Human Spaceflight Programme (HSP) will be moved to
the Challakere campus.
- It is expected that the 400-acre ISRO land at Challakere
will be the single-stop consolidating infrastructure and activities related to
- India is currently paying a huge sum to Russia for the
training of the first set of four astronaut candidates for the first Gaganyaan
mission of 2022.
- Also, HSP work is split across various centres like Vikram
Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram and the U.R. Rao Satellite Centre