Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar appointed as an advisor to the Lt Governor of JK
Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar: A fact file
- IPS officer Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar has been appointed as an
advisor to the Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
- He recently retired as the
Director-General (DG) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- The position
in the paramilitary force remained vacant for nearly two months after the
retirement of K Durga Prasad on 28 February 2019.
- The role of the Advisor includes assisting the Lieutenant
Governor of the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir in the effective
discharge of his functions.
- The appointment will be effective from the date
from which he assumes charge.
- G C Murmu is the LG of Jammu Kashmir UT since its
creation on 31 October 2019.
- Bhatnagar is a 1983-batch IPS officer of the Uttar Pradesh
- He retired as the DG CRPF on 31 December 2019.
- He headed the 3.25 lakh
personnel force for over two and a half years.
- His appointment comes at a time
when the CRPF has suffered reverses in the theatre of Naxal violence and is
dealing with mounting protests in Jammu and Kashmir.